top of page

Someone Claimed Your Child As A Dependent & It's Not You

Believe it or not, this happens! This situation usually occurs between divorced spouses, but sometimes it is a case of identity theft. In order for someone to claim your child as a dependent, they would need access to the child’s full name, social security number, and date of birth.

Due to confidentiality, the IRS cannot share the information of who claimed your defendant. But there are several things you can do in order to remedy this situation.

  1. Determine the eligibility of your dependent. Your dependent must be either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative in order for you to claim them. If you are certain of your eligibility to claim the child or relative as a dependent, continue to step 2.

  2. Print out and manually file your tax return. Your claim will be flagged along with the person who claimed your dependent, and you will both have to provide proof of entitlement for the dependent.

  3. An audit will occur. Both you and the person who claimed your dependent will be audited in order to determine who is entitled to claim the dependent. You should prepare school and medical records that prove your eligibility to claim the child or relative as your dependent.

Dependent identity theft is never a pleasant situation to encounter, and we hope you never have to experience this. If you or someone you know has encountered this tax dilemma, send them our way. The professionals at Lifetime Tax & Accounting can answer any questions you might have, and we can help guide you through the process. Contact us online, or call us at 603-230-2404 today. We’re happy to talk with you!


bottom of page